Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Rocking Chair Song

When Mary Frances was an infant, a very good friend gave me a CD with personalized lullabies for "Mary".  One of my favorite songs to play and sing was "The Rocking Chair".  We listened to it in the middle of the night while I was rocking her back to sleep.  After a while, we forgot about the song, and a few years later I sang it one night and she looked at me with big eyes and said she remembered it!  I know that sounds crazy, but just recently we have picked it back up and she loves it.  It is very soothing to her because she actually remembers me singing it when she was younger.  It triggers something very special inside of her.  I love that it does that, so we continue to sing it!

Anyway, I wanted to post the song for my own benefit and hers...to make sure we have the words one day if we forget it again!  So, here it is...

The house is hushed and still, my other blessings are asleep.
You've waited all this time.  Now to my arms you creep.
We walk all through the house, See the remnants of the day,
I push them all aside for we are on our way...
To the rocking chair.  It's waiting in your room.
The peaceful rocking chair where sleep will find you soon.

We cuddle with a book.  I talk about our day.
We sing a little song, and then a prayer we say.
We thank the Lord above for the blessings that He brings.
We thank Him for this love and list of many things,
Not least the rocking chair, our favorite place to be.
I should be feeling tired, but this is joy to me.

Looking at your face, I see it must be true.
The rocking chair brings sleep and quietness to you.
For mama it brings love.  Mary, someday you will know,
A place to thank the Lord for the blessings He bestows.
Our faithful rocking chair - it's purpose now has served,
For, Mary, you're asleep.  My prayers have all been heard.


No comments: