Saturday, May 06, 2017

Night Terrors in Foster Children

Night Terrors....I've never experienced them before, but I have learned a lot about them in the last few weeks!  Here are some things I've learned and put to use:

1. Anyone can have night terrors, but they are much more common in foster/adopted children.  So, what is it?  It is similar to a nightmare, but the person does not wake up during it.  They can last 2-30 minutes, and they can be scary to watch!

2. You should not wake up a child having a night terror because it could make the situation worse.

3. You can't really prevent them, but they will eventually go away (so I'm told...we haven't gotten that far yet) with careful attention and encouragement.

4. You can break a night terror by taking the child to the bathroom.  Apparently, they usually need to go anyway, and the act of having to do something brings them out of it a little bit - sometimes!

5. You should just reassure the child that they are safe and you are with them.  You should also make sure they are in a safe area because they may pace or thrash around.  They may have their eyes wide open but still be asleep!

6. If you can catch it as soon as it starts, it ends more quickly.

7.  They usually happen 30-45 minutes after falling asleep - in the deep stage of sleep!

So, here is what I have figured out for our three year old!  After being in our home for 5 weeks, we moved a twin bed into our room.  His bed is about 3 feet from my side of the bed.  His first night terror is usually 40 minutes after he goes to sleep.  So, I am not in bed yet.  However, moving him downstairs allows me to hear him sooner and get to him more quickly.  I've been able to comfort him before he gets out of control.

I take him to the bathroom right away when I get to him.

By doing just those things, I have been able to cut the time from about 10 minutes to less than TWO minutes!  And, I believe that has helped him to sleep through the night better.  Before we moved him down, he was having at least one night terror each night AND waking up another 2-3 times each night!  Not only was that a problem for him, but he was also waking up his 1 year old brother which made my night REALLY difficult!  Now, he is rarely waking up after the first night terror! 

This has been a great solution for us, and I think he is feeling much safer in our home.  My hope is to be able to move him back upstairs into his bed in the next month or so! 

No comments: