Sunday, March 02, 2008

A Mom's Job...

As I begin to get busier with weddings and have less time for cleaning my house, I have been pondering what my job really is as a mom!

Here's the deal...I don't really like playing. I love board games, and we do play some of them, but usually Chase messes them up! I like puzzles. We do those every once-in-a-while. I really like riding bikes with my kids, but I don't like playing outside! I am not into Barbies, My Little Pony, Thomas the Tank Engine, cars or Transformers! So, do I just suck it up and play, or is that not really part of my role? Are all of those things for them to play with and be creative while I'm doing other things? Is riding bikes once or twice a week, reading several books a day, and putting together a puzzle once a week sufficient "play time with mommy"?

The reason I'm questioning is because I am finding that I feel guilty on days when I have not sat down to do more than read them a bed time story. Is that bad or is that normal? I don't want "well, you're just busy and that's all you can do." I really want to know what my role is as a mother!

I wake up with them every morning. I try to get up before them, but I am not usually successful since they wake up by 6:30 each day! I make sure they are dressed, fed, brush their teeth, and that they make up their beds. (We've recently begun a "schedule" where they get smiley faces for each chore they complete in the morning and the evening.) Ray C. and I take turns taking them to school, and about half the time we have really good conversations - sometimes pretty deep conversations. In fact, we recently talked about Fidel Castro and his role in Cuba. Anyway, I pack lunches for them, and I try to keep them from eating too much sugar and red dye - that's for you Ms. Dana!!! Really, it's for the sanity of all adults involved, but we are grateful for your help with that discovery!

I pick them up from school and ask them each what they did and what they enjoyed most! I pray with them. I take them to the park. We ride bikes. I let them play in the backyard while I am in the kitchen. They play for hours with their toys upstairs! We watch more TV than we should, but I restrict what they can watch!

Ray C. and I try to get individual time with them as often as possible! We go on dates with one at a time, and that is always a blast! We make sure they have a bath before bedtime and that they brush their teeth - most of the time! :) When we are home, we get them in bed between 8 and 8:30, which is most nights. All that to say, I take care of their most basic needs and more! After all, I love them! They are God's gift to us, and I want the best for them!

So, should I feel guilty about just letting them play on their own? Seriously? Should I be spending several hours with them one on one each day doing art projects, reading, and playing games? Or are they getting what they need from me in the other things I am doing? Of course, I know that no one else can answer my questions specifically, but I would love to hear your thoughts on this. What conclusions have you come to as parents about what our role is?

I don't want to do enough to make me feel better! I want to be sure that I am providing my children with everything they need to be a successful, happy, loving adult with GREAT memories from their childhood! I just can't convince myself that's what I'm doing! HELP!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am pretty far from being a parent or becoming a parent, but I believe that if you treat your children and spend as much time with your children as you can, loving them, growing with them, but at the same time allowing them to be independent, you are being a great parent. I also think, and know from growing up around you, that the "good" parenting skills are instilled in you and as long as you follow in your parent's footsteps (as a guidelines for the most part because your children are probably different than you were at their age), then you're doing just fine. This isn't a pep talk, but I just know that coming from a family where my parents loved me with all their heart, were patient with me even during the bad times and have helped me to grow into what I think it is a pretty decent young lady, much like yourself, then you're on top of things. Just give as many kisses and hugs as you can, which I know you do, and remember to always say I love you and continue reminding them of how good God is. You guys are great parents and they couldn't ask for anything better, in my opinion.
Lindsay

Kris said...

Please do NOT feel guilty..Playing is not my thing either BUT like you I find other ways to spend time with them without it being a chore! Everyonce in a while I will play trains and what not but not very often. You are doing awesome!

Tanya said...

"should I feel guilty about just letting them play on their own?"...Heavens No!!!

When I think back to my childhood, I realize how much better our generation was at entertaining ourselves! My mother, like most of my friends' moms, did not work outside the home. They were there for us but did not entertain us. And if we couldn't find something to do Mom said, "I'll find something for you to do!" And she wasn't talking about Playdoh....she meant work. That was enough incentive for us to figure something out! We didn't have 400 TV channels, PSPs, iPods, bazillions of toys, or computers. I look back and say what a great time I had as a kid. We drove from Michigan to Florida (1000 miles) every summer after school got out for a week's vacation. We brought books, snacks, and a pillow for the ride. The radio worked sporadically as we went from one signal area to the next. Those family vacations were the best.

My kids can't take a car ride longer than 20 minutes without their cell phones, and the radio blaring one of the many XM stations we receive! We used to enjoy quiet activities. It seems like my kids can't do without their 'white noise' (TV, i-Pod.

If the kids can play by themselves I would say you are doing something right.

Anonymous said...

i think that what it comes down to is not how much time you "play" with your children but how much they feel and know your love is what makes a childhood special. my mom and dad were divorced since i was two. i saw my dad on weekends and as i got older the time in between visits grew because of activities i was involved in. but as i grew up and whether or not my dad played with me or we just sat there, one thing always rang true and that was how much he loved me and he let me know that. today he is one of my best friends because i know i can count on him for any kind of love and support i need. a friend of mine just recently told me how she gets through her "guilty" feelings is by reminding herself that guilt is not from God. the feelings you are feeling can't be something that He is placing on your heart but from some other source. i think as a parent as long you do the best you can do that's all you can do. you are a great mom! there is no question about that.

Anonymous said...

Your children will one day look back on their childhood and praise God for the wonderful parents they have. They will cherish all the time you have given them. The very fact that you are so concerned about the time you spend with them shows your love for them. I pray that more parents would be concerned about the time they spend with their children. You are a wonderful Mother!
Love,
Daddy