Monday, January 09, 2012

"OH SHITaki mushrooms"

As we were driving in the car this weekend, I kept hearing my kids saying "oh... shitaki mushrooms" and wondering what they were talking about!  After a few times I remembered hearing it on a movie we just watched and realized that it was just a cover up for a certain curse word.

I know most people use the word, but Ray C. and I just don't cuss.  We just don't see the need to use the words and really don't want the kids to say them.  Now, I know that most parents don't want their little kids to cuss, but I think most assume they will eventually.  I'm assuming that if I teach them properly, they will not.

So....when we got out of the car, I asked them if they knew what they were saying.  They did not realize why they were saying it but were using it in the right context.  So, I just came right out and said, "Guys, "shit" is a bad word, and that is what you are saying.  They all looked at me funny wondering how they were saying that.  So, I explained to them what the saying meant.  Of course, they wanted to know what the actual word meant and were more appalled by the dog poop than the fact that they were saying a bad word! :)

We had a good little discussion.  Ray C. told them that we know they are hearing dirty words from other people but that we do not expect them to use them, and since we don't use them ourselves, I think it is fair to expect the same from them!

As I've been pondering this more, I have been reminded of the bible verse in James which (in Jacqueline's paraphrase) says that God gave us our mouths to glorify Him, and we are being hypocrites if we are using the same mouth to praise him sometimes and then curse things and other people at other times.  That is why I choose not to use them.  I am certainly not perfect and admit that I say things I shouldn't, but I am trying to keep my words pure and glorifying to the God who blessed me with words!



No comments: