Thursday, February 21, 2008

A New Bike

Mary Frances got a new bike this week! I know you might be surprised after all we've been through with the "me,me,me" stage, but the rest of the family needed her to have one! Here's the deal! Thomas just started riding his bike (with training wheels). I know I'm starting to sound like a bad mother, but this is the first place we've lived in 3 years that was suitable for learning. On the island, we didn't even have a road suitable for learning. It was dirt, and our driveway was made of rocks!

So, anyway - we're off and we're so excited! Mary Frances already had figured it out but hadn't been doing it much! So, when Thomas took off last week, he wanted to go for a ride around the neighborhood, specifically to his friend, Zachary's house! I was so excited when he asked because it opens up a whole new realm for our family - exercising together and having fun outside! So, the first time we went, Chase didn't want to ride in the baby seat on Ray C.'s bike. So, Mary Frances rode in the seat and Chase ran! I know we sound like bad parents, but anyone who knows Chase knows he was just fine and had a blast! Ray C. mentioned how much easier it is to "chase" him when you have wheels. I must admit I'm terrified to put him on a bike! I'll never catch him!! Anyway, we took plenty of breaks and let him ride a little!

The next time we went, I told Mary Frances to ride her (now old) bike, and she refused. So, I told her she would have to run. We didn't go far, and it was a good lesson for her. So, the next day we went, and she rode her little bike, but before she even got on it, I noticed it next to Thomas' bike and realized it was much too small for her! So, I promised her that if she would try really hard and show me that she could ride, that I would buy her a new one the next day! She did great, and I kept my promise! Of course, I also told her that if she did not have a good attitude about it that we would not let her ride it. She has been very grateful for the gift and not shown the same attitude I saw back in December and January! So, that afternoon, we went for a 2 hour bike ride. I think we went about 2 and a half miles. That was just me and the 3 kids! We had a blast! Mary Frances was a little slow on the first half of the trip, but she was racing Thomas at the end!

This has been so much fun for us! Our neighborhood is an amazing place for bike riding and doing outdoor activities! I am so excited to have something my children enjoy doing that we can do regularly! We all need the exercise!

No comments: