Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Discipline Hurts

The past few weeks have been drama-central in my world, which includes a 7 year old girl going on 12! I swear she already acts like a middle-schooler some days!

The main thing we've been dealing with is her sense of entitlement! Nothing is fair!! For everything we do, there are two or three things we didn't do! I am almost at the end of my rope with whining and complaining!

Give me a break!

I took you to the rodeo (the only kid that went with us) and bought you cotton candy and a corn dog, and you complain because I didn't buy a toy.

I buy tickets for the carnival at Rodeo tonight and you complain because you can't take a friend.

I let you go play with a friend all afternoon, and you come home complaining because I didn't do something else with you (since you weren't here)!

I was at the end of my rope on Sunday night after all this drama and couldn't figure out how to solve this the best way---and then, a light bulb.

After praying for God's guidance, I realized that not letting her go to the carnival tonight was an appropriate consequence for her actions.

So, I sat on her bed as she was crying and told her how much I love her. I reminded her that my job as her mother is to help her love God and tell other people about him. That means that I have to teach her how to be grateful for the things we have and to be considerate of others who do not have! So, I informed her that she would not be going to the carnival tonight. She was heartbroken, which in turn broke my heart, but I know it is the best way to teach her this lesson. She must understand that she can't have everything and that she needs to be thankful for what she has.

I'm sure the drama will continue, but I know that God will continue to show us the way to handle these situations. After all, He loves her more than we do!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Good job Mommy! I love you!

Unknown said...

Going through the same thing with Brock! Glad to hear your input : )