Thursday, July 19, 2012

Eggplant

Ray C. has been growing some delicious veggies in our garden this summer.  So, we have been eating a lot of eggplant in the last few weeks!  I can't seem to give it to anyone because no one knows how to cook it.  So, I thought I'd share the recipe I've been using that we have really enjoyed!

Directions:
Slice eggplant (skin and all)
Sprinkle salt on both sides and let sit 10 minutes
Beat two eggs in one bowl and set aside.
Combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs & 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.  (I also season with cajun seasoning.)

After 10 minutes, blot both sides of eggplant to remove the moisture that has accumulated.  Place each slice of eggplant in the eggs and allow eggs to drip off before placing in bread crumb mixture.

At this point, you can pan fry or bake the eggplant.  They are both delicious, but I like the baked a little better and it is much better for you.  To bake, place each slice on a pan and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Once cooked, you can top with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese for Eggplant Parmesan.  I have also cooked it with a slice of tomato and feta cheese on top (as seen in the picture).

It definitely has a different taste, but it is really delicious!!


No comments: