Monday, August 18, 2014

Thankful for Summer...

I woke up 45 minutes early this morning.  I guess I'm excited/anxious about starting back to school today.  It has been an amazing summer!  As I was doing my mom jobs last night..laundry, making dinner...I was thinking about how grateful I am to have a job that allows me to have the summers off.  It allows me time to recharge, focus on my family and projects that I want to do at home.  I can sleep in, get everything done without rushing, and work on things that I don't have time for during the year.

I am so thankful to have the time off with my children to get to know them more intimately and to be able to help them develop into the people God has created them to be.

This summer I have traveled to Europe, been to a family reunion in Arkansas, cheered on my son in the World Series in Dallas, visited family in Florida, partied at Ray C.'s class reunion, read six books, learned to geocache with my children and their friends, exercised, concentrated more on healthy eating habits, laughed with my children, prepare my son for middle school, caught up with old friends, discovered how much I love my children, strengthened my relationship with my high-school-sweetheart husband, built a bookshelf/desk in my bonus room, partied with friends and family at my surprise birthday party, and I have been reminded of how truly blessed I am to have my family living so close.  I'm sure I have forgotten things, but suffice it to say that it has been a great few months.

Today, I go back to school.  Sadly, it is not the school I have been at the last two years, and it is not the team I have come to adore at Smith.  However, I am ready and excited.  Today I become an Anthony Raven.  I am "opening the school" with the rest of the staff.  I have the opportunity to work in a brand new state-of-the-art school.  (It isn't actually ready yet, but we should be ready enough for students next week.) I am looking forward to setting up my room, planning with my new team, and getting ready to welcome my precious little 6th graders on Monday!

Am I sad summer is over?  Not really.  It's been fun, but I am ready for the school routine.  I love what I do as a teacher.  I love that I am making a difference in the world 160+ students at a time!  I love that I get up early, work, and then can be home when my children return from school.  I am still a mother first and foremost.  It is the most important job God has given me.  We are molding three little people to go out and change the world.  I can only do so much as one person, but when these three kids grow up to love God and His people, they are going to go out and do so much more that Ray C. or I can do alone!

This summer I have had the opportunity to really see into their hearts, and they amaze me.  They are all caring and generous. They all love the Lord.  I have absolutely loved spending time with them and my husband this summer, but today, I am charged and ready to go out and do what God has called me to do in the world.  Teach!

No comments: