Friday, April 27, 2007

Potty Training

I HATE potty training! Until I started potty training Thomas, I thought I was a great mom. My dreams were crushed as I realized everything is not as easily conquered as I had hoped! Potty training is one of the most difficult things I have faced as a parent so far. When Chase was born, we had 3 in diapers even after trying to train Thomas for a while. I tried every method there was. The fact of the matter is - you just can't make a child urinate or poop on command. They are ultimately in control. In Mary Frances' case, it was one thing she could control no matter what I did. So, she just decided it would be when she was ready. She knew what to do for a year but chose not to as part of her strong will. She finally decided she was ready when her cousin, Abigail, loaned her some Ariel panties and called to check on her. Ray C. says that he potty-trained her while I was away for the weekend. Normally, I love to give him the credit and brag on him as a hubby and daddy, but after working on this for over a year, I refuse to give him the credit for finishing the job. Thanks, honey! We can share the credit, but I can't just give it away after all of my frustrations over it!!!! You're still an awesome husband, and I am grateful for the work you put into the project!!

So, I've come to Chase. We now have 2 children trained. A few months ago, I decided I was not going to train Chase; I've realized it isn't up to me. He will do it when he is ready, and he has 2 older siblings to watch. So, I told Thomas he was in charge of potty training Chase, and that I would not interfere. He replied, "Thank you, mommy!" You are more than welcome baby!!

HOWEVER, Chase loves the potty. He is ready to learn, and I don't feel like I should waste the opportunity even though I have no desire to potty train. I keep telling Thomas to take him to the potty with him and show him how to do it! He does some, but I think I'm going to have to step in! I believe this will be a family effort. Thomas and Mary Frances will probably do more than I can. So, today, we broke out the Diego and Spider Man undies!! The 2-3T size is huge on his little behind, but they don't make them smaller! It's 9:00 a.m. and we've already been through 3 pair, but the kids are having fun. I wouldn't call it fun - more like torture. It makes so much laundry - and that's just the clothes. I also have to clean the floor where he was standing, wash out the undies in the potty, and keep the kids out of the mess while I'm cleaning it up. But I'm surviving. I don't expect he'll stay in the underwear all day, but he is doing good. Yesterday he went pee pee and poopy in the potty, and he was so proud of himself.

Well, say a prayer for me as I train this last one and move on to the next stage in life! For those of you who are wondering - No, I am not sad. I will be so happy to say goodbye to Pampers, Luvs, and Huggies. I have better things to spend my money on - like camp for the kids!!!! I've been stuck in this stage for a long time and I am ready to move on. We are having fun, but good things are waiting in our future!

"Thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!"

1 comment:

Donna Wright said...

great to hear from you!!! I am so glad you sent this link to your page...what would we do without the internet, right? We miss you all and the kids are so precious and so GROWN UP!!! Give my best to EVERYONE!!-Donna