Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sound the Alarm..Here Comes Thomas

Today was a big day for the Hughes family! We registered Thomas for kindergarten! I expected the line to be outrageous, but there wasn't one when I was there! I found that very exciting news since I will be doing kindergarten registration for three consecutive years!

Anyway, it was pretty painless. Of course, I brought a phone bill instead of a utility bill as proof of residence. So, I had to take all 3 kids back home to get the right thing, but still, it was no big deal!

The kids did great during the registration. I was very nervous about how I was going to handle them all while doing it, but they sat at a table and colored and played with some other children!! We knew several other kids registering - neighbors and friends from preschool!

As I was preparing to leave, the lights went out. I knew immediately that one of my children was to blame. So, I saw Thomas messing with the light switch and told him to turn it back on. As soon as I got across the room to get the lights back on THE FIRE ALARM WENT OFF!!! Unfortunately for me, it was not a scheduled drill! The red switch had called Thomas' name, and he gave in! I honestly don't think he knew what it was because he would have never done it. He hates loud noises and is always concerned about our house alarm going off!

What seemed like 5 minutes was probably only about 20 seconds, but I was mortified! Luckily, no one had to be evacuated. Someone with a walkie turned it off and told the front office it was a mistake. We left as quickly as possible!

What a way to start your public school career. Watch out! Here we come....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

To funny, I mean hilarious!

Jessica said...

Wow. Talk about announcing your arrival! :)

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard....because I've been there! Except when I registered Lauren for pre-k I cried uncontrollably at the registration table.....I think they thought I was NUTS!!!
Lauren also has had her way with the fire alarm......and of all places at the YMCA! She knew what it was though...she said she was just helping the firmen out by testing it. Hope all is well with you guys! Kelly Grady Thrift

Kris said...

I am cracking up because I can so see Jacob doing that. He is so attracted to the fire extenguisher sp?? outside his class at chruch and I am beyond surprised he has not gotten his hands on it yet! BUT...we still have one more year of him trying!

Anonymous said...

Jordan set off the alarm at Wal Mart when he was about 3 or 4. I didn't know this, but if you push those emergency exit doors in Wal Mart, a VERY,VERY,VERY LOUD ALARM goes off. You can hear it all over a super-center and every one in the store will not move in an orderly fashion to the nearest exit, they will make a bee-line to see what set the alarm off. The alarm was screaming, Jordan was screaming (it scared him to death) and we just wanted to crawl under something. Life would be so boring without them! Lori

Lisa said...

Hi, came across your blog and your cute kids. At least you won't ever forget this day! Nothing like making a big entrance on his school career!