Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Compassion International

It recently occurred to me that I have not ever mentioned something very dear to my heart on this blog! We have two other children that I've never introduced you to! So, I am very pleased to introduce you to...

Wendy Nohemy Mendoza Morales
Wendy will be 9 or 10 this June. Parents don't keep up with birth dates like we do. So, getting an exact date and age is difficult! She lives in Guatemala with both of her parents and 2 sisters. In Wendy's village there are so many children needing assistance that Compassion cannot care for each child. So, they have chosen one child from each family - usually the one requiring the most help. Sad, isn't it? Wendy has been part of our family for 2 years, and we had the HUGE privilege of getting to meet her 2 summers ago! We took her, her mother, grandmother, and teacher to the zoo in Guatemala City! It was so much fun, and because I had been learning Spanish, I was able to communicate with them some without the interpreter!

and

Makenson St. Juste

Makenson was 13 years old when he joined our family, but he has grown so much! He just turned 19 a few months ago. He lives in Haiti with both of his parents and 3 siblings.
Makenson does okay in school but not great! I have been trying to encourage him to do his best. That is the only way he has a hope for the future! Through Compassion, he has the opportunity to continue school if he desires. He has always had a passion for soccer.

We sponsor these kids for $32 a month each. That pays for their Christian education, hygiene products, healthy meals, and much more. We have the option of sending extra money for the family once a year that Compassion helps them spend wisely. We also send money to Compassion each year for their birthdays and Christmas. Compassion buys gifts for the younger children but allows the older ones to make decisions on how to spend theirs. They always thank us for the gifts and tell us what they received or bought.

This past Christmas, Wendy got a new skirt and shirt that she wore to her Christmas Service. She was so proud. Makenson has bought goats for his family, a bicycle, a soccer ball, and more I can't remember. I love hearing what they received and how much they enjoyed it!

I LOVE this ministry dearly and strongly recommend it to anyone who has ever wanted to support a child like this. We receive letters from the kids about 3 times a year and can write as often as we like. If you are interested in checking it out, go to www.compassion.com. You can look at pictures of the children waiting for sponsorship and read about them. It is a great opportunity for older children to have a pen pal. I suggest choosing one in a country you are likely to visit anyway so that you can arrange a meeting sometime, if possible!

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I had to share it. I couldn't do anything better than this with $32 a month! I'll leave you with the verse I shared with Makenson and Wendy in my latest letter to them, "I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11-12

In Christ,

Jacqueline

No comments: