Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Gift of Independence

(AKA: the curse of the strong will)

After receiving a call from Mary Frances' teacher this afternoon, we had a little heart-to-heart. Again, we discussed being respectful to people - adults and children. I reminded her that people who love Jesus should not be disrespectful to their teachers and friends.

With tears in my eyes I told Mary Frances how special she is. "God has given you a very special gift of independence, and mommy and daddy want to help you learn how to use your gift." I truly believe it is a gift that requires much discipline to not be used as a weapon!!

I want her to be independent. My parents always told me that I could do anything I put my mind to, and I believe that. When you have a strong will you CAN accomplish anything. The tough part is channeling this "gift" for good rather than manipulation and malice! It is so hard to guide a 2,3, or 4 year old with this special gift (or curse - however you choose to look at it).

Parenting Mary Frances has been very challenging. She does not respond to the same style of discipline that the boys do. When she makes up her mind, it is almost impossible to change it! But, I believe that God has given her this gift for a purpose, and I truly want to help her discover how to use it to His glory!

In the mean time, please pray for Mary Frances, us, and her teachers! It is very trying and exhausting to constantly deal with a strong will! Lucky for me (and not so lucky for her), God blessed me with the same gift. So, she may be a match for me, but I am no pushover!!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh goodness...makes me smile to think of your strong will. "Perseverence" is the word that comes to mind.

Jessica said...

Check out my blog! It's pretty now!!