Thursday, October 01, 2009

Sneaky, Sneaky

Just before Mary Frances walked out the door this morning, I heard her open the pantry door and wondered what she was doing. When I asked she didn't answer. So, I walked in the kitchen, and she pointed to her backpack with a frown.

After investigating the backpack and not finding anything extra, I noticed that something was actually missing - her LUNCHBOX! I said, "Mary Frances, did you put your lunchbox away?"

She shook her head and said she wanted to buy lunch at school.

Well, if you read my blog much, you already know that the children are allowed to eat lunch at school every Friday. For some reason, that is a treat to them! But, for Mary Frances, that just isn't enough. She does not understand why I have to pack her lunch everyday!

So, I had a very sweet conversation with her explaining that I do not want her to be sneaky. I told her she can always tell me how she feels. I also explained that I understand that she wants to buy lunch at school but that the lunches I pack are much healthier. I went on to explain they have a lot of grease and fat in them that is not in the lunch I make.

So, she wanted to know what fat is. I just told her it is bad stuff in the food that is not good for our bodies. I told her that the schools try really hard to make healthy lunches, but they aren't as good as the ones I make.

So, she was still sad and pressed me to let her eat at school more often. So, I told her that maybe next week she could eat there twice.

Then, she said, "Will you come eat lunch with me tomorrow when I buy lunch?" So, I went to my calendar and told her I was writing it down. Her face lit up, and she gave me a great big hug. Ahh...she left happy! It was a good discussion!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You da best mommy! :)