Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Wonderful Wednesday of Thanksgiving

Today is one of my favorite days of the year...the day BEFORE Thanksgiving! It's the day family and friends begin to gather to celebrate Thanksgiving! I have so many incredible memories from Thanksgiving. I know I share it every year, but there is just something warm and cozy that creeps in every year to remind me how much I love this holiday!

Today, I am thankful for my mom who taught me how to cook! I've been cooking some of my all-time holiday favorites. I've already made my absolute favorite - Strawberry Butter! I've also completed my grandmother's recipe for Dressing (or stuffing) as some call it!! I also made her Cream Party Salad, or what Ray C. calls "the green stuff". The turkey is thawing in the fridge!

Today, I'm making Pumpkin Pie and my great-grandmother's Pecan Pie! The only things not made from scratch will be Cranberry Sauce in a jar and Sister Schubert's Rolls! Hers are good enough for me!

Anyway, I love that my mom taught me how to bake! I love it so much that if cooking was a love language, it would definitely be mine! I love to cook good food for my family, and more than anything, I love making baked goods for (and with) my kids! I LOVE baking cookies for them just before they get off the bus and inviting over the neighbors to share them! That is straight from my mom! In fact, she just recently told me that the way to keep the kids at my house and not someone else's is to have the best food! After all, I can keep a much better watch on them when they are all playing over here, right?

I'm so grateful for so many things my mom taught me and modeled to me over the years. Being a good mom means building your child's character and the base for who they are and how they behave. The difficult part about that is how hard it is to pick out specific things my mom has done for me. My mom was just always there - doing everything, but little that is considered glamorous! Now that I'm a mom, I understand this dilemma!

So, I am thankful to my mom for molding me into the person I have become. That may seem much more simple than a list of incredible feats, but, really, it's the most impressive thing a person can do!

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I am thankful for our Mama, too! She has taught me how to do so many things, and given me the encouragement and direction to do the things she couldn't teach me to do herself. What a wonderful Mama she is! THE BEST!!!