Friday, December 11, 2009

The "D" Word

We have a new bad word in our family -- DESERVE!! After a long conversation with Mary Frances about why she does not "deserve" anything for obeying at school, I have declared "deserve" a bad word in the Hughes' home!

I can't think of one thing that we "deserve" that we would actually ask for! I can think of a lot of things I deserve, but I am grateful that I don't get them! I think that's called Mercy, right?

I just can't get her to understand the concept. I explained that we can earn things, but that we don't deserve good things just because we worked hard at something. I explained that it is really a selfish word.

I told them that sometimes people will say, "You deserve ....", and that sounds nice, but we still don't deserve it. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Taylor and Lindsey said...

ooh I so agree. As a teacher it was SO frustrating to have the students do well and then ask what they got for doing well/ working hard. UGH! I like that its now the "D" word. Way to be creative.