Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Old Chair and a Half

We bought our chair and half long before kids! It's probably 8 years old now. Most people would have gotten rid of it 4 years ago when the dogs destroyed it. It's a very nice piece of furniture that should last 20 years or more - if you don't let animals and kids destroy it!! Anyway, we LOVE it! It is the most comfortable piece of furniture we own, and it is so nice to be able to snuggle together while we watch a movie. Ray C. and I fell asleep in it the first 3 nights we had it and slept most of the night there.

Now, it is very dirty and has several semi-patched holes in it! It needs to be restuffed and recovered, and I intend to do that as soon as possible! But it is still comfy!

I was thinking about all these things as I was snuggled up in the chair last night with all 3 of my children watching the Wizard of Oz. Ray C. had the entire sofa to himself, and I was a little uncomfortable, but I felt so blessed. At one point, Ray C. said, "Doesn't anybody love daddy? Doesn't anyone want to sit with me?" Thomas ran over to sit with him, but as soon as daddy fell asleep, Thomas came back to join the rest of us.

So, as I watched the Wizard of Oz, I wondered what it is about mommy that makes everyone want to be with me! They love daddy, but they want me for comfort! It is difficult to be so needed. Yes, it is sweet, but it can be exhausting as well, but for today, I feel as blessed as I am to have 3 precious children who love me and want to be with me!

As for the chair, it will be recovered sometime, but the looks don't matter as much as the comfort it provides! I'm glad we have it!

2 comments:

Kris said...

Thanks for the reminder that even in the exhausting times when they only want that comfort from mommy these messy munchkins are such a sweet blessing. After seeing you this morning I got in the car and had a voice mail from Taylor's school...she had thrown up and I had to go get her UGH!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to being the one the children come to for comfort! I can think of times when the kids have interrupted a shower or bathroom time. This is when Dad, a physician as you know, is sitting in the family room reading the newspaper! And they want me to tell them if they have a fever or give them medicine?! No matter what I do, they still come to me to cure their ills. David says I will be sorry when they are gone off to their own lives. I'm sure I will. It's just hard to imagine when I have soap in my eyes!

Love to all-Tanya