Monday, October 08, 2007

Dear Abby...

Thomas wrote a letter to his cousin, Abigail, yesterday. He sat down with the paper and pen and started asking me how to spell things. So, I said, "Why don't you just see if you can sound it out and do it all by yourself?" I was floored that he actually did it. He usually says "I can't" and then just gives up, but he stuck to it! I was so proud of the outcome. Here is the literal interpretation of what he wrote just so you can understand his writing. Under the letter is what it says, in case you can't figure it all out! Remember, he's only 5! This his first ever attempt to write anything other than his name! I did help him a little with the birthday - he wasn't sure about the "th"!

DER ABGAE PLES KUM TO MY BRTHDAY LUV THOMAS
DEAR ABIGAIL, PLEASE COME TO MY BIRTHDAY. LOVE THOMAS

Pretty good, huh? Now, his birthday isn't until September. He just had one, but I guess he just wants her to get it on her calendar!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you save that. Or a copy of it. It is just precious.

Anonymous said...

by the way, thanks for your encouraging comment the other day. Sigh. those kids. :)

Amy Lee said...

What a little smarty he is! I'm very impressed!
Kaylin is having a tough time with the "th" as well.