Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Four-Wheeler

We visited my family in Georgia last week and had a blast. One thing that has become a must for the kids is "camping." The first time they requested to go we actually camped in a tent for the night, but after we realized that all they really cared about was the fire, hot dogs, smores, and the four-wheeler, we changed our plans! So, now we just go out for a few hours of fun. It is really a lot of fun for all of us!

So, as I was telling my friend, Heather, about the kids tonight, it hit me that their feelings and style on the four-wheeler are a perfect description of their personalities! Chase is OBSESSED with the thing. He talks about it all the time, notices most four-wheelers we pass, and must ride it daily when visiting my parents. He always has to be the first one to ride (that's mainly because he just can't stand to wait when we first get it out), and he usually gets the last ride, too! However, he rides very quietly. He is content doing anything on the four-wheeler as long as he gets to ride!

Thomas is very cautious! He enjoys the four-wheeler, but it likes to go pretty slow, not hit any bumps if possible, and he doesn't want to ride for long. A leisurely ride will do him just fine! I bet that surprises you about him, but I'm not describing his activity level - this is personality!

Now, Mary Frances, the princess, loves the four-wheeler too! However, she likes to go as fast as it will take her, as long as it will go, and she wants to hit every bump and mud puddle in the way! She is a dare devil, and has been since birth!

I don't know that there is any relevance to my sudden realization but it sure is fun to think about! I am so glad God made us all so different. We all have things we like and don't like. I love that I have different things in each child to enjoy. I remember the first time I realized that the kids were going to be different was when Mary Frances decided she liked grapes. As crazy as it sounds, I was so excited! Thomas had never liked grapes. It hadn't really occurred to me that they would like different things. So, it was fun to see that at such a young age they were already displaying some differences in preference and personality! Of course, it is a challenge preparing meals for 3 children with different tastes, but I am grateful for the differences!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

What a great realization! It's funny too! I guess what I do on the 4-wheeler describes me too...I like to go fast and be a little adventurous as long as I'm still in control (or feel like I'm in control)!