Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A New Respect for My Dad...

At about 9:00 last night, I began piecing together Mary Frances' new wooden kitchen. I finished around 12:30!! I knew it was going to take a while, but I had no idea it would take that long. The longer I worked on it, the more my respect for my dad grew. Who knows how many things he has assembled for me over the years, how many hours he has spent with a screwdriver in one hand and a set of directions in the other!?! That's not even considering all of the things he has made for me from scratch, with his bare hands!!

So every time I began to get frustrated at the length of time it was taking, I began to think of the things he has assembled for me. It sure made it a lot easier to keep a good attitude. And now, I understand another reason for experiencing joy when your child opens a present. When you have put so much time and effort into something, it makes it even more fun to see them enjoy it!

The kitchen set is actually from my parents! So, thanks mama and daddy! Along with your gift, you gave me a new appreciation for you and all the things you have done for me over the years! I bet you never thought you would hear thank you for the behind-the-scenes job when I was 6, did you!? And maybe I won't either, but I sure am grateful to you now!

I must also say, my appreciation grew for husband as well. He is usually the one stuck with this job. So, thanks honey. I appreciate all the time you spend assembling, too. I will be more thankful from now on. I'm pretty sure I'm going to let you keep this one!!

No comments: