Thursday, January 03, 2008

Mary Frances Registers for China...

Mary Frances is turning 4 next week, so we have set up a registry for her fine china. She is registered only at Belk's. I'm sorry if that is inconvenient for you!!!

No, really! Ray C.'s dad gives the children money for Christmas every year. We could go and spend the money on more toys that they don't need or we could put it in a savings account for later. However, it really isn't enough to be a huge amount later on. It would probably get used on something they would forget about in a year or two if they remembered it that long!

So, I have been thinking for the last month or so that I would really like to start her some type of collection with the money so that she could have something really special. Even though the money may not go far later on, it will go a long way when you use it on the best sales! After Christmas (and other times during the year), China is discounted a lot.

So, I took my mom and Mary Frances to the mall today to look at patterns. I know her taste will not be the same as it is now and may be different than ours, but we had to start somewhere! So, we looked at several different options and found one that we agreed any girly girl would think is pretty. One thing is for sure - Mary Frances is a girly girl!!

I intended to just buy a little at a time, but the sales person suggested a registry - smart on his part - so we decided that was fun and would be a nice way of keeping up with what is bought. Who knows, she may start getting pieces from other people as well! I know this may seem crazy to some of you, but I feel that this is a great way to make use of the money she is given, and she will be so thrilled to have a nearly complete set of China when she becomes an adult!!

So, I am really excited tonight. After we registered her, I gave her a few choices of items we could take home with us as her first few pieces from Papa. She chose the tea cup and saucer without hesitation and had some juice in them when we got home!

Now I just need to decide what to do for the boys. I know they won't care about China now or later. My parents have suggested another type of collection like stamps or coins, but I'm not wild about either idea. I think a collection is a good idea, but what could they collect that they would be proud of later on? Any ideas? I need some help!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacqueline-Happy New Year from the Shores!! I don't know if you have started collecting ornaments for your kids. I started several years ago and usually give them one each year. I know that when I first got married I didn't have many ornaments for our first tree. My kids will have several. The boys may not be 'into' collecting ornaments but they (or their wives) will be glad to have a starter collection so many years from now. Kids go back to school tomorrow. Latest happenings in Dublin are that Paul got his pilot's license and Alex got her first period! OMG...my kids are growing up way too fast. Love to all-Tanya

Amy Lee said...

What a neat idea Jacqueline! I like it!
I think the ornaments would be a good idea also - I had a neighbor who gave me an ornament every year and we are doing that for our girls now - it's so much fun to see them all every year. I wish we had more from when Jeff was a child.
I'll keep thinking about other ideas too.

Kris said...

The ornament is an awesome idea I do that for my kids (especially for the future wives) as is the china. I have a mentor at church who once told me to buy a piece of Christmas dinner serving pieces (Lennox does sets that are so pretty). The daughter-in-law LOVED it. Now they eat on it every Christmas and think of her! I just need to actually do it!

Amy Lee said...

Here's another idea - when Jeff was in high school, he would go cut his grandparents grass frequently. Rather than getting paid for it, he asked his grandmother to save the money. When we got married, he bought a pearl necklace for me with the money she had been saving all those years. So maybe you could set the money aside and let the boys decide on something to buy at a later date - maybe for their wives.

Jessica said...

I like the last idea...pearls for their wives...or mommy...or aunt...
:)
I miss you!

Anonymous said...

My mother registered my china and silver when I was about her age, too. Granted, I'm no where close to being in a serious relationship anytime soon, but some day I'll be very prepared. A girl can never have too much china or silver to serve her favorite guests.
Lulu