Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Lessons from the ER

Unfortunately, we visited the ER Monday! Mary Frances was so sick when I picked her up from school. She kept falling asleep and moaning while she was sleeping from the pain in her stomach. She had a high fever and was vomiting. Of course, as usual for us, we waited 4 hours to be seen by the doctor. They did give her some Tylenol AND Motrin as soon as we arrived which made her much more comfortable. She slept most of the time in the waiting room.

They drew blood, took an xray of her chest, pushed on her tummy, and listened to everything. The doctors and nurses were very sweet to her. They tried giving her an IV, but it wouldn't stick because she was moving so much.

Throughout the experience she (and those of us with her) learned a lot about her body:
1. She believes her blood is pink, and the staff confirmed that for her. She didn't actually see it.
2. Her heart is not shaped like a "heart." This was very "disheartening" to her. :)
3. Her skeleton is very interesting to look at.
4. Breathing treatments don't hurt - especially when the only other option is ANOTHER shot!
5. Her insides are "all the different colors".

She was diagnosed with slight pneumonia and allowed to leave for the night (at 11:30). She is doing great today - on an antibiotic and breathing treatments a few times a day. She'll probably go back to school tomorrow.

Oh, and she was very excited to ride in a wheelchair! It's amazing how little things are so exciting to them!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my...why are we surprised? "PINK, PINK, PINK!!!" How flippin' adorable is she?! I'm so glad she is okay.

When Mary Frances called me yesterday she told me that she saw her skeleton. I said, "I know! That is so neat! You told me that last night." And she responded: "I know. I wanted to tell you again!"

Kris said...

Poor thing! Will be in orayer for her and you. I am queen of breathing treatments! One still is on one every day for who knows how long! PINK! Love it!