Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Changing the World: One Bag at a Time

In the last year or two, I have become aware that Christians are known mostly for our stance on major, controversial issues like abortion. I am so aggravated that the environment is not more of a concern. Our God created this beautiful place and asks us to be good stewards of it. Instead, we are contributing to the destruction of it just as much as the next person. Preserving our environment has become more of a passion for me this year. I have made several changes in my daily life and in my home to preserve what God has given me. I realize that the best way to change the world is to start with myself and get people to join me. So, I would like to share with you the things I am doing to be a good steward of the gifts I have been given, and I would love for you to join me. If you do something I didn't include, please leave a comment. Let's save the environment together. These are easy changes that make a BIG impact!

1. I use canvas bags instead of plastic bags at the grocery store and other stores. I don't always remember them, but I use them when I can. I paid about $3-4 for each bag on ebay. One canvas bag holds the equivalent of 3-4 plastic bags. They have long handles to throw over your shoulder. So, I can get almost all of my groceries in one trip up my stairs with all 3 kids!! That's a benefit!

2. I started washing all my clothes in cold water. Warm water uses much more energy and really only makes a difference on greasy clothes, from what I hear!

3. I try not to turn on any lights unless it is necessary during the day. The sunlight is usually plenty with the windows open.

4. When we go on vacation, I turn the air conditioner up to 80 and close all the blinds to keep it cooler and not need the air conditioner!

5. We are working on becoming more fuel efficient. We are not buying new vehicles now, but we would like to buy cars that use less fuel - maybe hybrids. We are checking into it. I know they cost more and usually even out in price with the fuel, but the protection of the environment is the goal, not just saving money, although I am ALL for saving money!

6. Recycling of course, even if they don't pick it up. We have to take our recycling across the bridge because they don't pick it up, but we're going that way anyway. It really isn't a big deal to put your used containers in your car and throw them in a dumpster, right!!

7. We will be buying new appliances for our house. I am looking for appliances with the EnergyStar approval!

8. We also plan to use EnergyStar light bulbs in our new home. I think they use 75% less energy. That may not be the correct number, but that change alone is a HUGE value to the environment!

Thanks for reading! I hope you can join!

No comments: