Saturday, May 26, 2007

The "Terrible Twos"

What happened to my baby? He's only 22 months, but he is hitting the terrible twos hard already! He has been so sweet, easy going and cuddly since birth. Now, he says "no" with a mean look on his face, wakes up in a rotten mood and crying constantly, and pitches tantrums in the middle of my floor because I won't let him escape through the screen on the porch!

I never called them the "terrible twos" until Mary Frances started 2 weeks before her 2nd birthday! I didn't even realize Thomas had gone through them until he came out of it and his sweet attitude returned! Mary Frances' attitude hit us like a freight train! My parents took my sweet little girl home with them for a week, and I swear they brought back a different child! Every night was a dreaded nightmare. Her doorknob has been turned around for over a year so we can lock her in her room just to get her to sleep! (We always unlock it before we go to sleep.) It has been a very difficult year and about 4 months, but she is finally coming out of it. The last few weeks have proven her to be very sweet and obedient - a completely different child than I have known since before she turned two!

I am truly thankful that God has given me a small rest in between the two "terrible twos" episodes. I remember when Mary Frances started, I realized I was only a little ways into this with another one coming right behind her. The twos might not be SO terrible if you didn't have three of them back-to-back! Anyway, I am grateful that Mary Frances is at the end of this phase as Chase begins. I also appreciate what the children learn in this stage. I am praying that Chase will learn how to be independent and obedient and that he will learn to control his emotions.

As Chase was pitching a fit about going to bed tonight, I went back in to take him from Ray C. I rocked him and cried praying "God thank you for these children. This is so hard. Please help me to make it through this stage, and show me how to be a good mom." Then, Thomas asked me to rock him, and I rocked my baby and my 4 year old together in my great-grandmother's tiny little rocking chair. It was a joy to share those moments with my sons!

God, thank you for blessing me with three beautiful children whose thoughts are always on you. May they love you with all of their hearts and mature in their faith and love for you as their bodies grow and mature. You are good. I know you are with me - that you have not given these lives to me and left me alone. You are my example. Show me how to love the way you love and see things the way you see them and respond the way you respond. There is no place I'd rather be than in your presence and working with you! I love you, Lord! Amen!

No comments: