Monday, May 28, 2007

A Productive Day

I want to end every day with the thought that I was productive. That might mean I spent a lot of time with the children doing fun things -- reading, doing puzzles, taking a walk, going to the park, etc OR it could mean I finally cleaned the house. So, today, I am pleased.

I finished sewing cushion covers for my $5 denim sofa by 9:30 this morning! They look GREAT, and they're washable - 3 kids, remember!?! Soon after, Mary Frances got sick and threw up all over me, my computer table, and my bathroom. My sister was getting ready to leave, and I got a little stressed out. Then, I told Mary Frances to go take a nap in her bed because she was exhausted. First I took off the quilt and shams. As soon as she got in the bed, she threw up again! Well, I've already packed the extra sheets, so she slept in her sleeping bag while I washed her sheets! Thank goodness I thought to take off the quilt, right! She felt better after her nap, and was fine the rest of the day!

I finally got to work packing around 1:00. After a while, I realized I hadn't seen Chase in a few minutes. I frantically ran onto the screened in porch and asked the kids where he was. They had no clue, but the screen had a 2 year old size hole in it. I told the kids to look in the bedrooms, and I took off down the stairs. When I got to the bottom, I could see him at the end of our rock driveway (I was barefoot) IN the dirt road, running! He was running away from home!! Could this be part of the "terrible twos"? I caught up to him quickly. He was laughing the whole way! I was not!

So, a little while later, I tried to put him down for a nap -- not happening! I won't go into the details, but after 30 minutes of screaming and him escaping from the bedroom, I decided I'd rather him not nap today, wake up with the cranky attitude he's had the last 4 days after nap, and let him go to sleep easily tonight! He had a happy afternoon and asked to be rocked at 7:15! What a difference! I think my sister was right - he's just gotten used to the older kid's schedule. I already know he doesn't like being left out, and he knows they aren't napping! So, we'll try this approach and see how it works! Sorry, mama! I know you were counting on that break next week!

So, after everyone took a bath, ate, and got in bed, I painted the boys' dresser black! I know it sounds crazy, but if I don't get it done now, it will be months before I get to it, and I want their cowboy room to look good when we get to our new house! I plan to paint the nightstand tomorrow. Then, I'll be finished!

It's been an adventurous - as always - and productive - not so normal - day! Productivity is great, but ending the day, especially one with many obstacles, with a joyful heart and a good attitude is a blessing! Thank you, God, for changing my heart!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

WOW. I think you have something in you that I don't have. You accomplish more in a day than most people who don't even have kids! REALLY! You painted a dresser, sewed two sets of covers for the cushions, made three meals for four people, packed, cleaned up all day long, took a shower (?), did some SU-DO-KU, wrote a blog, uploaded pictures, checked your email, probably read some other blogs, and who knows what else?! That should be in the dictionary as the definition of a productive day!!

Jacqueline said...

Let me just be clear that it isn't always that way - but I do fill my days to the top! I have a lot to learn about relaxation. If someone would just tell me how to relax and get everything done, I would be set!!! :)