Saturday, June 09, 2007

Guatemala

I am so excited to be in Guatemala again! I love these people. The little old men and women are so precious to me. I am so amazed at how hard they work! There is NO retirement here.

Yesterday and today we are working in a little Mayan village called Panimache. We had hundreds of people show up for our medical clinic, hundreds of children for Bible School - yes, I said hundreds!! And, we worked on constructing the church buiding that was destroyed in Hurricane Stan in October 2005. The church family is so grateful for our help. We went to their service on Thursday evening, and they prayed for us. Isn't that amazing? It was very humbling!

We sang and played with between 2 and 300 children yesterday. I am scared there may be more today. Of course, it would be wonderful, but we aren't quite sure what to do with them all! We also took their pictures and framed them with popsicle sticks!

We had a medical clinic where we worked with a local doctor who is a Christian. We will work with her and her husband today and then two more days after that in a different village. We saw very many sick people. The older people have arthritis, and we can only give them tylenol for a month of relief. One child had lice so badly that the bugs had chewed thru her scalp and left a terribly infected hole! Many have parasites, amoebas, etc. We aren't able to do as much as we would like, but any comfort is better than nothing!

My dad has been delayed because his passport just came in yesterday, but he wil arrive this afternoon! I can't wait to see him and experience this with him! God is so good, and He lives in Guatemala - in the hearts and pueblos of the people here!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I don't know how you do it. We went to the ATL Zoo today AND Honey promised to take them to the ice cream shop. Halfway home from the zoo I had to pull over because I was so sleepy! Honey drove and I immediately fell asleep. I still can't eat anything harder than scrambled eggs so I stay hungry. I'm glad things are going well. The kids are great. Love you!