Saturday, August 11, 2007

Be Careful What You Pray For

God made me the way I am, but sometimes I just don't like it. My gift of gab really bothers me. Recently I have been asking God to help me be quieter. I even started a post (still a draft) last week about wanting to go to Bible Study without everyone knowing what I am thinking or just being able to be quiet around other people. I have prayed for years that God would give me a quieter spirit, but I have reluctantly come to realize that He made me this way for a reason. And while it may bother some people, He likes me this way.

I think He gets a big kick out of my everyday musings and behavior! I often think of Him saying, "Oh, Jacqueline! You are so dramatic..."Anyhow, His most recent kick is that He finally gave in to my desire to be quiet. For the past week, I have only been able to whisper. Ray C. has enjoyed it far too much. For the first 2 days, he laughed every time I spoke, and all I could do was GLARE at him. When I get mad, I just have to give up and walk away because raising my voice just isn't an option!

God, your sense of humor never ceases to amaze me. I am here for your pleasure! I love you, and I am glad you enjoy me however I am. Thank you for the kids quieter voices this week. It seems that whispering is contagious. Other than the terrible twos, the house has been much quieter! I am trying to learn from this lesson. I hope my voice will return soon, but I want to remember:

1. When I am quiet, so are the kids.
2. You can solve a problem better with a whisper than with a yell.
3. People are much more attentive when you speak less and softer!

So, for those of you who may be bothered with the theology that God made me sick to learn a lesson: I do believe He answers in such ways, but I also realize that I've been around a lot of germs, and getting sick is the result. So, I choose to believe that God uses the things of this world to teach us greater lessons. I like to find a lesson in everything I do. Honestly, whether or not God meant it to be a lesson, I can still learn from it! I actually don't think He MAKES us sick. As my friend Brandi says, "He just doesn't bend the rules!" (He could if He wanted to, but He chose not to in my case.) If you are around germs, you get sick. He created our immune system, and it is working exactly how He created it. He could keep me from being sick, but then I wouldn't have learned this quiet lesson! Any thoughts? (Pastors not allowed to respond to theology questions!! Sorry, honey!) :)

3 comments:

Rachel Harris said...

I feel your pain! I love the part about wanting to go to Bible study without everyone knowing what you are thinking! I have this desire to be still and quiet and listen, but my mouth just doesn't seem to cooperate! Maybe those germs will make their way over to me one day and I will learn this lesson as well. And if my girls respond like yours, I would definitely enjoy a few days in a quieter house!
As for what coming first, the chicken or the egg, I do know that God has allowed me to get sick in the past to learn a lesson when I was taking on too much! Lying on the bathroom's cold tile floor, I knew without a doubt that it was Him and He was asking, "will you slow down, now?" :-) But I also believe that things happen naturally, too, and that He can still use those moments to teach me.... if I am not too stubborn to listen!
Thanks for sharing!
Rachel

Jawan said...

J, I know this may sound gross, but my friends and I stuggle with the same issue and have labeled it "verbal diarrhea". Check out Kim's blog about her recent attack! http://kimberly-myself.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-woke-up-with-vaguely-uncomfortable.html

Jessica said...

My friends and I call it a similar term to Jawan's..."diarrhea of the mouth."

Jacqueline, God certainly uses your "gift of gab" to make others feel comfortable and welcome. You are hospitable and inviting to those around you and you wouldn't be so (as much) if you spoke less. God made you that way. You are unique and there is no reason why you should be more like someone else. There are probably times when you "mess up" and say more than you should or don't listen enough, but you are human. Knowing you have this (so-called) problem will help you control it. Continue to be YOU and you will continue to glorify God.