Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Big Brother Thomas

We have met so many children since we have been here. We've even had play times with many of them one-on-one or three-on-three, I should say!! :) But, Mary Frances has been bothered, for a month, about one little boy that wouldn't play with her. His mother and I are friends, and the kids have seen each other several times, but the little boy is mature for a 5 year old and he is not really into playing with girls right now. He has a 3 year old brother that really likes Mary Frances and likes playing with her, but Mary Frances is stuck on A. I don't know why it hurt her feelings, but she has been really upset about him not playing with her. So every once in a while she tells me about him and asks why he didn't play with her. I tried to explain that he probably wanted to play with the bigger kids or maybe just the boys but that he really is nice and maybe next time he would play with her. Apparently Thomas has been a silent listener!

We see them once or twice a week, but today Thomas decided to speak up. We were leaving the nursery, and Thomas turned around and called out his name, "A...!"
He turned around and said "what?"
Thomas then cleverly asked him, "Do you like to play with 4 year olds?"
"Yes," he replied.
"Do you like to play with girls?" Thomas asked.
"Well, of course." A snickered.
Then Thomas said, "Well, why won't you play with Mary Frances?"
A was bothered at this point and said, "I don't know!"
So Thomas suggested, "Well, maybe next time you see Mary Frances you can play with her." Then A's mom told him to apologize, and he did.

Oh my gosh, I wanted to cry. I felt so sorry for A and his mom, and I had no idea what to say to his mother. I don't think he ever did anything to Mary Frances or said anything that wasn't nice. She just got her feelings hurt because she wanted to play and he didn't. Anyway, Thomas was being very kind. He was not being a bully or being mean. He was just taking care of a situation that his sister was upset about. I absolutely cannot believe I was able to witness such a conversation between a 4 year old and a 5 year old, but I am so amazed that Thomas felt compelled to do what he did. He was so selfless and kind. There was nothing wrong with what he said or how he said it. Again, I felt horrible for A, but I was very proud of Thomas for so gently caring for his sister!

Mary Frances was not with us during this encounter. So, when I went to tell her what Thomas had done, I said, "Mary Frances, Thomas did something very special for you today. He asked A why he wouldn't play with you."
She said, "I know that. Thomas already telled me."
I said, "Well, what did he say?"
She said, "He said the next time I see A he will play with me!" Then she smiled and looked at Thomas as if saying "thank you."

3 comments:

Jessica said...

You have the most amazing children! And that is a direct result of the fact that they are YOUR children! (You know what I mean!)

How SWEET!

Ray Hughes said...

sister-in-law, what is that supposed to mean? don't think i don't read this too...revenge will be sweet!

Jessica said...

(This message is intended for Ray Hughes.)
Hey, I didn't mean it didn't have anything to do with you too. You just assumed that. You know what it means when... :) Just kidding. It is a result of you too. And gosh, once I get there and get involved, well, they will be just perfect!