Thursday, August 07, 2008

Changing the World

I have a Compassion t-shirt that says "Changing the World one child at a time." Of course, I like to think I'm changing the world 5 kids at a time between my 3 and my 2 compassion kids. Anyhow, that's another story...

I've just finished reading "Just Courage" by Gary Haugen. Gary is the CEO of International Justice Mission (IJM). They are rescuing the more than 26 MILLION slaves who are currently in bondage around the world. Many of these are child sex slaves!

This book has given me the courage to do what I want to do - change the world. I always want to do big things to make an impact. Everyone isn't wired this way, but I am. So, I've decided I'm finished with dismissing wild ideas just because they aren't safe. I will continue to seek wise counsel before stepping into big decisions, but I WILL follow God wherever He asks me to go.

I do not want to get to the end of my life and see a lot of good ideas that could have changed the world around me that I was afraid to act on for whatever reason!! I may not be able to change the whole world, but I can do a lot with my time and money. And even more than that, if my 3 children see me doing what I can, they will in turn have a heart for change. That means my efforts are tripled just by my children watching my obedience. Who knows how many others will be affected?

My mom recently said, "Jacqueline, do you just lay in bed at night thinking of ways to stress me out?" Of course, she was joking (kinda). But, I reminded her that it is my parents who have given me this foundation for loving God and desiring to please Him. I want to please my parents as well, and I certainly don't want to stress them out, BUT I can't turn away from what I feel called to do just because my mom is concerned about how difficult it might be for me.

I don't believe God put me on Earth to have an easy, convenient life and just to enjoy things. I understand that following Him is often inconvenient. He placed me here for a purpose. He wants the whole world to know who he is and how much he loves them, and someone has to show them. It might as well be me!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

AMEN SISTER! This is a perfect example of why I want to be just like you. :)

Blood Diamond is a great example. The journalist asked, "What difference does helping one man make?" If you've seen the movie, you realize what a difference she made!

Bella & Poppa said...

We should have more young (and old) people willing to step up to the plate and follow what God has for them to do with such vigor and excitement as you have. And remember God said "fear not." We should all be so bold in our walk with our Lord.

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful for your heart honey! It is a blessing to have a wife who gets it and is one the smae page with me (umm...actually that's not true on everything so don't take it personally that I said you were on the same page as me) You rock!