Friday, August 22, 2008

Meet the Teacher

Thomas visited his new school today! We met his teacher, too! It was an exciting morning. I had to explain what the lunchroom is, how to walk in the halls, etc. The lunch line is a foreign concept, too - even to me, honestly! Thomas is even going to be riding the bus home from school each day - another foreign concept for me since we didn't even have school bus routes!! Anyway, we went through it all! I think he is ready. I am happy that he is allowed to keep a water bottle for when he is thirsty. They even have snack time since some of them have really early or really late lunches. I forgot to ask what time his lunch is.Thomas' seat was as close to the teacher's desk as it could have been, and she swore she had no idea who we were!!!??? I think he's going to do great. I told her I was planning to be very involved so we could be a team to make sure he is successful. I even signed up to be the homeroom mom. If you know this to be a crazy thing, just don't tell me. I'll figure it out myself. I've been thinking about doing it all summer. I will survive, and Thomas will love it! I always loved having my mom at school events!

Thomas' desk is also right next to the library. The library also looks into the next room. This is an open-concept school - meaning there are no doors. The rooms are separated by large bookcases and cabinets. I am really looking forward to hearing about how this affects Thomas' learning. It might actually be better for him. I know Ray C. has a hard time concentrating when it is quiet, and since Thomas is so much like he was, he might just thrive in this environment!

No matter what, please pray for Mrs. Thompson, Thomas' new teacher! I believe this is her first year teaching and she has 21 kindergarteners! I will be praying that she enjoys the year, and that she and Thomas will develop a great relationship. I desperately want her to understand who he is and how he operates!!
It all begins in just 3 days!! Yikes! What am I talking about? PRAY FOR ME!!

No comments: